Sunday, January 29, 2006

More Manly Books


I found an interview at Salon.com with Neil Chethik, author of the new book VoiceMale: What Husbands Really Think About Their Marriages, Their Wives, Sex, Housework, and Commitment. It includes this q&a:
That was one of the main themes of your book -- that there is male style of loving and a female style, and that over the last 50 years the male approach has been disparaged or devalued, at least in the context of home life and marriage. What is the male style and why is has it been devalued?

The male style is less oriented towards words and more towards action, less oriented towards face-to-face interactions than side by side. In my own marriage, for instance, there was a long time when my wife was quite disturbed that I wasn't affectionate toward her in the ways she wanted me to be. She wanted more touching, kissing and saying "I love you." Those things didn't come easily to me. But over the course of 15 years she's come to recognize that when I leave her a note or spend hours working to make our backyard a refuge, that's my way of doing those things. At the same time, I've recognized that she needs those direct expressions and I've made an effort to meet her halfway.

The interview isn't fantastic, but the writer sounds thoughtful. And the book cover is neat.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the info

7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home